Change Your Name In North Dakota

Court authorized to change name of persons and cities: The district court shall have the authority to change the names of persons and cities within this state. [N.D. Code, Title 32 Judicial Remedies, Chapter 32-28 Change of Names of Persons and Places, Sec. 32-28-01.]

Change of name of person – Petition:
1. Any person desiring to change that person’s name may file a petition in the district court of the county in which the person is a resident, setting forth:

a. That the petitioner has been a bona fide resident of the county for at least six months before the filing of the petition.

b. The reason for which the change of the petitioner’s name is sought.

c. The name requested.

2. The judge of the district court, upon being duly satisfied by affidavit or proof in open court of the truth of the allegations set forth in the petition, that there exists proper and reasonable cause for changing the name of the petitioner, and that thirty days’ previous notice of the intended application has been given in the official newspaper of the county in which the petitioner resides, shall order a change of the name of the petitioner. The court may waive publication of the notice when the proposed change relates only to a first or given name as distinguished from a surname or upon evidence satisfactory to the court that the petitioner has been the victim of domestic violence as defined in section 14-07.1-01.

3. If the person whose name is to be changed is a minor, the court shall consider the appointment of a guardian ad litem, and notice of the intended application must be published in the official newspaper of the county in which the minor resides and, if different, the official newspaper of the county in which each of the minor’s parents reside. If the minor has a noncustodial parent, a copy of the notice must be deposited in a post office in this state, postage prepaid, not later than ten days after the publication of the notice, and directed to the noncustodial parent’s last reasonably ascertained post-office address. An affidavit of mailing of the notice prepared in accordance with the North Dakota Rules of Civil Procedure must be filed with the court. [N.D. Code, Title 32 Judicial Remedies, Chapter 32-28 Change of Names of Persons and Places, Sec. 32-28-02.]

Costs-Change not to affect rights or pending actions. All proceedings under this chapter shall be at cost of the petitioner or petitioners for costs as in other civil actions. Any change of name under the provisions of this chapter in no manner shall affect or alter any action or legal proceedings then pending, or any right, title, or interest whatsoever.

Recent Posts

Bookmark and Promote!

Privacy Policy - Terms and Conditions - Sitemap - Contact
Copyright © 2011 - Legal Name Change. Webnix, LLC, All Rights Reserved. provides you with information to help you understand certain legal terminology, issues and concepts. is not a law firm and does not offer legal advice. is for educational, informational and entertainment purposes only. does not guarantee that the information on its website is accurate or up to date. DO NOT use or rely on any information provided on without first consulting with a licensed attorney in the appropriate jurisdiction. Nothing that you read on should be used as a substitute for the advice of legal competent counsel.