Change Your Name In Nevada

How to obtain a legal name change in Nevada

When is it possible to get a legal name change?

Either an adult or child can change his or her name, and must simply give a reason for the change of name.  When a person is able to change his or her name is not specifically limited to certain scenarios such as marriage or divorce.

Who can get a name change?

Any natural person, adult or child, can get his or her name changed.

What steps need to be taken obtain a name change?

A person seeking to have his or her name changed must file a verified petition with the district court for the district in which the person resides.  The petition must include the petitioner’s name, the petitioner’s desired new name, the reason for the name change, and whether the applicant has been convicted of a felony.

Upon the filing of the petition, the petitioner must procure notice.  To do this, the petitioner must publish in a newspaper of general circulation in the county once a week for three (3) successive weeks the fact of the filing of the petition, the purpose of the petition, the petitioner’s present name, and the petitioner’s proposed new name.

The applicant does not have to publish this information if he or she can produce satisfactory proof to the court that publication of this information would cause the petitioner’s personal safety to be at risk.  Also, if the petitioner is able to show that his personal safety would be at risk, the petition would be sealed.  The petition would only be opened for inspection by an order of the court for good cause or upon a request of the petitioner.

If all steps have been taken, no objection has been made, and the court is satisfied by the petition, and other evidence, that good reason exists for the name change, the court will order the name change.

Can someone object to the name change?

Yes.  Someone seeking to object to the name change must do so within ten (10) days of the last publication of notice.  If an objection if filed, the court will schedule a hearing to hear the petitioner and the objection.  After the hearing, the court will grant or refuse the petition, depending on whether satisfactory reasons have been shown for granting the change.  In making the court’s decision, the court will specifically take into consideration any criminal record the petitioner might have.

Other important information.

If a name change is granted to someone who has a criminal record, the clerk of court will send a certified copy of the order to the Central Repository for Nevada Records of Criminal History to be included in petitioner’s criminal record.

If the court finds incontrovertible proof that the petitioner falsely denied having a criminal record, the court will rescind its order granting the change of name.

Recent Posts

Bookmark and Promote!

Privacy Policy - Terms and Conditions - Sitemap - Contact
Copyright © 2011 - Legal Name Change. Webnix, LLC, All Rights Reserved. provides you with information to help you understand certain legal terminology, issues and concepts. is not a law firm and does not offer legal advice. is for educational, informational and entertainment purposes only. does not guarantee that the information on its website is accurate or up to date. DO NOT use or rely on any information provided on without first consulting with a licensed attorney in the appropriate jurisdiction. Nothing that you read on should be used as a substitute for the advice of legal competent counsel.